I like to think of YA as my go-to genre when I want to read something but I don’t know what. I’ve rarely been disappointed by YA (okay in my defense it’s because usually I’m reading historical fiction or fantasy fiction) and I’ve certainly never been disappointed by these seven authors:
- Rachel Morgan: Rachel Morgan is a South African author whose contemporary YA “Trouble” series is one of my all-time favourite series. The books are sweet and well-written. They’re also all set in South Africa which I love.
- Estelle Maskame: Estelle Maskame’s “Did I Mention I Love You” series is romantic, dramatic and has a unique twist on the whole “bad boy” cliche.
- Marissa Meyer: Marissa Meyer’s YA can be enjoyed by both adult and young adult readers. She writes fairytale adaptations that are flawless. If you enjoy fairytales, you will definitely enjoy Marissa Meyer’s work.
- Renee Ahdieh: Kick-ass heroines and swoon-worthy heroes can be found in Renee Ahdieh’s work. She also writes retellings with amazing world-building.
- Sarah J Maas: Sarah J Maas is my queen and therefore I dub her the queen of YA fantasy. Definitely check out her “A Court of Thorns and Roses” series which is a faerie retelling (yes I know this is the third time I used that word but I really like my retellings) of “Beauty and the Beast.”
- Joanne Macgregor: Joanne Macgregor is another great South African author. Some of my favourite books by her are “Scarred” and “The Law of Tall Girls”.
- Sarah Dessen: Sarah Dessen writes really heart-warming stories that always have romance and a happy ending. I strongly recommend “Saint Anything” and “Along for the Ride”.
What are some of your favourite contemporary YA authors? I’d love to know below.