I love fantasy novels. They allow me to escape the real world for an hour or two without having to leave the comfort of my bed (which IMO is the best kind of travelling). Here are seven of my top fantasy authors:
- Sarah J Maas- Sarah J Maas is my QUEEN! I don’t even care about her “Throne of Glass” series but I am so very obsessed with the “A Court of Thorns and Roses” series that I believe she should be mentioned first on this list. If you haven’t read ACOTAR yet go and get it. I promise it will be worth your while.
- Rachel Morgan- Rachel Morgan’s “Creepy Hollow” series has the same incredible world-building and crazy plot twists that you can find in a Sarah J Maas novel. Also, she’s South African so if you order her books directly from her you can get them SIGNED!
- Renee Ahdieh- I’ve only read “The Wrath and the Dawn” duology but I loved it so very much. I think Renee Ahdieh has beautiful writing and incredible world-building. Also the guy is TWATD is super-hot.
- Marissa Meyer- Marissa Meyer writes compelling adaptations for the stories that we know and love. Two of my favourites are The Lunar Chronicles series (a steampunk-ish kind of fantasy) and Heartless (a story about the terrifying Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland).
- Melissa Delport- Melissa Delport is another local author. I am utterly in love with the vampire, Drake from her Guardians of Summerfield series (I fall in love with alot of fictional characters if you didn’t already know that).
- Richelle Mead- Vampire Academy was one of my all-time favourite vampire series and that makes Richelle Mead one of my all-time favourite authors
- J.K Rowling- Because I will love Harry Potter. Always
Who are some of your favourite fantasy authors? Let me know in a comment.
Sometimes a book that has been talked about isn’t that great. It’s just a book with a huge marketing budget. But sometimes a book really does live up to it’s hype. Some of those really popular books that I’ve enjoyed are listed below.
1) The Wrath and The Dawn series by Renée Ahdieh- Great writing, a strong female protagonist and incredibly world-building are just some of the aspects of this series. There’s a beautiful romance as well as fairytales that I adored.
2) A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas- A fae retelling of Beauty and The Beast, I was gripped by this book (and it’s sequel). I’m so thrilled with this book that I now spend my days searching the web to find people currently reading the series so that I may cheer them on with over-enthusiastic comments about how amazing this book is. Like The Wrath and The Dawn series, this has a strong female lead with excellent world-building. Unlike The Wrath and The Dawn, this is a much darker story but I loved every second of it.
3) A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas- If you read A Court of Thorns and Roses, this is what it’ll be like on steroids. A Court of Mist and Fury is unbelievably better. I don’t know how that’s possible because the first book was my everything but this one just blows my mind. It’s darker and more intense with surprises at every turn.
4) The List by Siobhan Vivian- another book that I’m obsessed with is The List. Every year a list is released of the prettiest and ugliest girls in the school. Their reactions are recorded in this book. As a girl who had something like this done (in primary school!!!), this novel is especially close to my heart.
5) Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn- Mercedes has an unusual after-school hobby. She helps young males learn how to give their girlfriends a perfect “first time”. Mercedes sees this as a favour to the other girls because she wants them to have the special experience she never did. This book was mysterious and thrilling (I cannot say more on that) and I enjoyed it immensely.
Have you read any of these books? What did you think? Do you think there’s a book or series that I missed out? I’d love to know (I’m soo behind on my book news). Feel free to leave a comment below.