Elena has a super-simple approach to fashion. She dresses like she woke up, threw on the first items she saw and doesn’t care because she KNOWS she looks good. I love that her style is so casual but still looks great. Here are a few tips for getting her look as seen in season 1.
1) Keep it simple- Elena generally has little to no make-up and her hair is left straight and flowing. Who has time for getting dressed up when you’re being chased by your doppelganger ancestor’s old boy – toys (creepy dude in the hoodie, I’m talking about you).
2) Solid, dark colours- I don’t remember seeing Elena in any kind of patterned top. She chooses dark colours like purple and green and her tops are of one solid colour.
3) Bootleg jeans- Again, I think this is just her way of showing how amazing she looks without trying. When last did you see anyone with bootleg jeans? Elena pulls them off effortlessly.
4) Comfortable running shoes- when you’re walking around in graveyards or running away from vampires, you need shoes for comfort. While Katherine chooses to strut around in heels that she’s compelled from some poor soul, Elena chooses to wear flats and Chuck Taylors.
Katherine believes that more is more. After all, she was with both Salvatore brothers.
When it comes to her style, Katherine chooses to dress for seduction rather than comfort. She’s been running away from her past for years but that’s no reason not to look great while doing it. Besides, it’s not like she’s paying for them. When you’re compelling for clothes you can use anything you want to.
1) Dark colours- like Elena, Katherine also chooses to wear dark colours. However her outfits have more of a mysterious edge to it. Katherine wears dark colours because they look great on her. Think rich shades of black, purple and blue.
2) Skinny jeans- Unlike Elena, Katherine prefer skinny jeans to bootleg. And why not? She looks amazing in them. As she’s pointed out to anyone who would listen, Katherine sees herself as the more attractive of the two. Katherine is almost always seen in skinny jeans.
3) Sexy and seductive – Katherine chooses low – cut tops to accentuate her…um, assets. All those years of repressing her wild ways during the Victorian era must have really drove her wild. Katherine also always has boots or high heels.
4) Accessorise- Have you ever seen Katherine with no accessories? No, I didn’t think you did. Katherine goes all out with her accessories and she looks great!
Katherine Pierce and Elena Gilbert may be played by the same person but their styles are miles apart.