It’s finally the time for the holidays!!! If you’re a college student chances are you just have a week (who cares?! It’s a holiday!). If you’re lucky enough to be going away for the week here are a few tips for packing:
1) Pick your style- Choose the kind of look you want (glam, boho, etc). Since my looks are always based on fictional characters, I decide my holiday based on that. Jo’burg has always been a Blair Waldorf place (hello leggings) while I chose to channel my inner Elena Gilbert for Cape Town. The logic behind this was that Cape Town required lots of walking and I wanted to be comfortable.
2) Pick your neutral- Choose a colour that will tie together all your looks. My neutral colour is always black. It doesn’t stain and I have several bags and accessories in black. Pack things in the shade of your neutral so that you automatically have something that matches.
3) Choose basic jewellery- Choose jewellery that can go with any and all of your outfits. This is why choosing a style beforehand is so important- you know precisely what look you’re going for.
4) Use versatile items- Use items that can be mixed up. A dress top can be used with leggings as well as jeans. Voila- one item with two looks.
5) Roll don’t fold- Rolling your clothes instead of folding allows you to store more items.
6) Make a list beforehand- Make a list of what you plan to take before you pack. This ensures that you don’t miss anything out not matter how small. Be sure to take into consideration the weather and any possible changes in the weather (ie if a cold area suddenly has a heatwave, etc).
What are your tips for packing? Are you going anywhere for the holidays? I’d love to know.
Elena has a super-simple approach to fashion. She dresses like she woke up, threw on the first items she saw and doesn’t care because she KNOWS she looks good. I love that her style is so casual but still looks great. Here are a few tips for getting her look as seen in season 1.
1) Keep it simple- Elena generally has little to no make-up and her hair is left straight and flowing. Who has time for getting dressed up when you’re being chased by your doppelganger ancestor’s old boy – toys (creepy dude in the hoodie, I’m talking about you).
2) Solid, dark colours- I don’t remember seeing Elena in any kind of patterned top. She chooses dark colours like purple and green and her tops are of one solid colour.
3) Bootleg jeans- Again, I think this is just her way of showing how amazing she looks without trying. When last did you see anyone with bootleg jeans? Elena pulls them off effortlessly.
4) Comfortable running shoes- when you’re walking around in graveyards or running away from vampires, you need shoes for comfort. While Katherine chooses to strut around in heels that she’s compelled from some poor soul, Elena chooses to wear flats and Chuck Taylors.
Katherine believes that more is more. After all, she was with both Salvatore brothers.
When it comes to her style, Katherine chooses to dress for seduction rather than comfort. She’s been running away from her past for years but that’s no reason not to look great while doing it. Besides, it’s not like she’s paying for them. When you’re compelling for clothes you can use anything you want to.
1) Dark colours- like Elena, Katherine also chooses to wear dark colours. However her outfits have more of a mysterious edge to it. Katherine wears dark colours because they look great on her. Think rich shades of black, purple and blue.
2) Skinny jeans- Unlike Elena, Katherine prefer skinny jeans to bootleg. And why not? She looks amazing in them. As she’s pointed out to anyone who would listen, Katherine sees herself as the more attractive of the two. Katherine is almost always seen in skinny jeans.
3) Sexy and seductive – Katherine chooses low – cut tops to accentuate her…um, assets. All those years of repressing her wild ways during the Victorian era must have really drove her wild. Katherine also always has boots or high heels.
4) Accessorise- Have you ever seen Katherine with no accessories? No, I didn’t think you did. Katherine goes all out with her accessories and she looks great!
Katherine Pierce and Elena Gilbert may be played by the same person but their styles are miles apart.
1) Jewellery Dress- This is my favorite and possibly the most effective. A jewellery dress is a jewellery holder in the shape of the dress. Models vary but Sass Diva has a great one with compartments on one side and hanging space for necklaces on the other. I have a jewellery dress and its used to store most of my jewellery. An added bonus is that its easier to see all your available jewellery at a glance.
2) Cup Holder- A cup holder is great for holding bracelets. And its large size enables it to hold more bracelets than a normal bracelet holder.
3) Storage Containers- Strapped for cash but desperate for storage? Plastic containers can be used to stored jewellery. A good idea is to keep a container for each item- necklaces, rings, etc.
4) Jewellery Boxes- Often items such as watches come in boxes that can fit more then the item itself. Square watch boxes can be used to store a collection of rings.
5) Jewellery Wardrobe- I’ve never actually seen a wardrobe that could accommodate my great jewellery stash but jewellery wardrobes are cute, small wooden wardrobes that are used to store jewellery. It looks good and does it job so its a definite must for me.