I love fairytale retellings. It’s a tale as old as time with a twist. In fact I am so obsessed with retellings that I actually have two shelves decided to them. To help you find your next favourite retelling, I’m compiled a list of my favourites below:
- A Court of Thorns and Rose by Sarah J. Maas- One of my all-time favourite books and series, this is a retelling of “Beauty and the Beast” set in a world where both fae and humans reside. Feyre accidentally kills a fae and as punishment needs to return to their lands to live out the rest of her days.
- The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh- A retelling of “One Thousand and One Nights”. Now while I have not read the original, I did enjoy this book and it’s stories immensely. A young caliph takes a bride every night and kills her before dawn. Shahrzad volunteers to be his next victim- um, I mean bride-in order to extract revenge on him killing her best friend. What she did not expect was to fall in love with her mysterious new husband.
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer- The Lunar Chronicles is also one of my favourite series. Set in a futuristic world, this series follows a host of unforgettable, colourful characters from the stories we know and love. The first book, “Cinder” follows an android, Cinderella while the remaining books are about Scarlet (Red Riding Hood), Cress (Rapunzel) and Winter (Snow White). It is a delightful twist on traditional tales.
- City of Wishes by Rachel Morgan- This fairytale is set in a world with vampires, werewolves, humans and fae. I loved the assortment of characters here and I especially loved the worldbuilding.
- Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine- An oldie but a goodie. I’m not sure if Ella was supposed to be some sort of Cinderella but this was the first book I read with a movie adaptation (and the first book I loved more than the movie).
What are some of your favourite adaptations? I’d love to know below.